An ethical will example: short, to-the-point, but done!
SAMPLE ETHICAL WILL #1:
Dear Margaret, Laura, and Mitchell:
My time is running out so I want to say a few things to you. I want you three children to know I love you very much. If I have not always shown it very well I am sorry. I hope you find it in your hearts to forgive me. Mother is not a job you are born knowing. You have to figure it out as you go along. As you know my parents died when I was very young so I did not get a lot of words of wisdom. This is what I have learned so far in a nutshell. I hope it helps you.
1. Kids need help every day to learn and remember new things.
2. Mothers need patience. Every day and lots of it. You will not always have it but try.
3. When they smile at you it makes everything in the world okay even if it is only for a little while. Give your kids reasons to smile. That will be good for both of you.
4. Your kids need you to smile at them every day too. They need to hear the words “I love you.” Do not assume they know.
5. Grown-ups are not always right. So we should say we are sorry when we are wrong. How else will they learn to do it?
There is more but I am weak today.
I do so much love you. Please always love each other. Forgive each other. Stay in touch. —5/27/99
All I have I have already given you. Some days it does not seem like enough, but it is the best I can do. I am so sorry my illness has cost us so much (Mark 12:41-44 and Luke 21:1-4 help me on some down days.)
I am proud of each one of you. I think you have grown up to be good kind and smart people who treat others well. A mother can’t ask for more.
1. Thank you Laura for your visits notes and flowers. You cheered me on very hard days.
2. Thank you Mitchell for making arrangements and for your visits. You comforted me with your company.
3. Thank you Margaret for carrying the heaviest part of the burden my illness has been. I don’t know how you could stay so patient. I am grateful.
When hard times happen to you and they will please be kind to each other like you been to me. May God bless each of you and keep you safe. I believe we will see each other again in the hereafter.
All, all, all my love to each one of you always.